Photo by Dave Location: Palm Springs, CA Birds: Blue throat "Jinx" and Galah "Bandit"
It's so important for our pet parrots to receive real, raw, natural sunlight... and I don't mean just through a window. If you think about what they get in the wild, you will realize how LITTLE they get in your home. It's a necessary vitamin they really NEED just like you and me and every other living thing. I notice I personally feel better when I get a little sun in my day.
This is a great reason to join the Freestyle Flyer's Club so that your bird can get real sunlight in the way he would in the wild, by getting lots of exercise and essential vitamins from the sun as well, while creating an unbeatable bond with you.
If you're interested in training your bird for freeflight, email email@example.com and ask about availability and rates. It is a course personally coached by Dave Womach and will be an experience you will never forget!
Here are some ways to offer your bird sunlight:
- Get your bird an outdoor aviary, Cages by Design carries beautiful ones.
- If you can't afford an aviary, get a second cage that you keep outdoors.
- Take your bird with you on outings whether you use a travel cage where the sun can get through, or on a harness.
- Open a window completely (as in, no screen, entirely open) near your bird's cage (as long as the weather is nice!)
- Worst case in the winter time if your origin is frigid you should strongly consider Vitamin D drops (comes in oil form)
Article by Jamieleigh Womach. She has been working with parrots and toucans since the age of 17. She isn’t homeless but is home less than she prefers to be. She travels the world with her husband, daughter, and a flockful of parrots whom she shares the stage with.