If you're interested in training your bird - ANY age or species - to fly, please invest in my indoor flight training course! I'm also available for consultations if you have a specific situation that you need help with. Consults are only $50 for 30 minutes.
Reminder: Morgan is a 7 year old camelot macaw with a foot defect she was hatched with.
To catch up with Morgan's story, please click here.
Lessons from this video:
- Always end the session on a positive note and while the enthusiasm is still high!
- Crashing is part of the learning process - just like a toddler looks to its parents for how to respond - stay calm and collected and re-build the confidence through skills your bird already has before progressing forward.
- Flying around corners, through door ways and coming to you when you call from out of sight are MUST-HAVE skills for any parrot you want to fly outdoors. A bird has to learn how to properly navigate and adjust in flight.
- Keep flying fun and associated positively so your bird WANTS to do it. Don't fly your bird until it's too tired to fly anymore - end about 4-5 flights before that point.
- Make sure to vary up the flights. Don't always fly your bird in only one direction - make sure the bird is truly mastering the space by flying in all directions confidently.