What is a training clicker?
A training clicker is a little box, so to speak, that makes a loud click! noise when pressed.
What do you use it for?
The clicker is used to mark the EXACT moment when the animal you're training does a behavior you want to see repeated. The click sound is followed up with the animal's favorite treat, and is a form of positive reinforcement.
If you're still wondering any of the following questions, please check out Karen Pryor's website.
- Why is clicker training effective?
- Why is a clicker used?
- Why use the click? Why not just a word?
- How does clicker training work?
- How do clicker trainers ask for behaviors?
- What if the animal does not obey the cue?
- Why don't clicker trainers use punishments as well as rewards?
- How can clicker training be used to get rid of behaviors?
- Do clickers and treats need to be used for every behavior, forever?
- Can clicker training be used with any animal?
- Is clicker training a training method or a philosophy?