Photo by Dave Location: Cruise Ship Backstage Preening pal: Congo Grey "Cressi"
I love to spend quality time building my bond with my parrots, but sometimes they are just so high maintenance that it makes it on the line of miserable. I don't want to always be "baby sitting" my birds, I'd like to just have us both do our own thing and be happy in the same room.
I've finally begun to watch on WHEN I can expect to get this kind of quality time with my birds. And it's when they are mellow NATURALLY, or maybe I help just a little bit... hehe...
The best times to hang out with a mellow bird:
- After a shower when they want to do nothing but sit and preen, and dry off.
- After excessive flight training or flying for fun, when they just want to perch and relax and rest.
- Close to bed time when they would naturally be preparing to roost.
- Early in the morning right after they're full on breakfast.
- After a few days of not getting a ton of "playing" attention but only training attention, they're normally ready for some cuddles!
- In a strange environment like the car, or a room they're not normally in.
- Around strangers in the house, they tend to cling onto mom and dad.
Article by Jamieleigh Womach. She has been working with parrots and toucans since the age of 17. She isn’t homeless but is home less than she prefers to be. She travels the world with her husband, daughter, and a flockful of parrots whom she shares the stage with.